Are Hibiscus Poisonous to Dogs And Cats or Not?

Hibiscus rosa sinensis or only Hibiscus is known as a large shrub. Some people also consider it as a small tree. It produces the flowers that are big and have vibrant colors. When it comes to the shape, it looks like trumpet. Due to its color, its shape, and its appearance in general, it tends to stand out amongst the other ones.

Hibiscus is usually divided into two. The first one is tropical and the second one is hardy. The tropical one grow well in the zones 9 through 11 while the hardy one is suitable in the zones designed by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, which are zones 5 through 9.

Are Hibiscus Poisonous

Are Hibiscus Poisonous to Dogs and Cats?   

Those with cats of dogs who love Hibiscus have been wondering if the plant is poisonous to their pet. If you are one of them who are wondering about the same thing, it is guaranteed that most varieties of Hibiscus are non-poisonous to dogs and cats. There is nothing to worry about the possibility of the danger with most Hibiscus flowers or Hibiscus oil for dogs. Once again, most of them are non-toxic for pets, meaning they will not harm them. However, there is an exception. What is that? Can you guess which variation?

The type of Hibiscus that could cause harm to your dogs, cats, or the other pets is called the Rose of Sharon, as stated by the ASPCA. The Rose of Sharon, which is also known as hibiscus syriacus, is a deciduous flowering shrub. According to ASPCA, this variation can cause the loss of appetite, nausea and vomiting in the pet.

The Other Poisonous Plants for Dogs and Cats

As mentioned before, most types of Hibiscus are safe for dogs and cats and not poisonous. However, there are tons of poisonous plants in the world that could harm your pet. Some of the poisonous plants included in the list are Lilies, Marijuana, Sago Palm, Tulip or Narcissus Bulbs, Azalea or Rhododendron, Oleander< Castor Bean, Cyclamen, Kalanchoe, Yew, Amaryllis, Aurumn Crocus, Chrysanthemum, English Ivy, Peace Lily or Mauna Loa Peace Lily, Pothos, Schefflera, and many more. If you want to know the other poisonous plants, the best thing that you can do is to visit the official website of the ASPCA. This website provides the list of the plants with toxin and the ones to avoid to be planted in your place. The ASPCA also always wants everyone to know that if any plant material is eaten by the cats and dogs, they might get gastrointestinal upset. In order to prevent this kind of thing from happening, you are advised to keep the dogs or cats away from the garden. If you have plants other than the garden, from now on, relocate them to the place that cannot be reached by the dogs or cats for the sake of them and for the sake of your plant as well.

Way to Treat Poisoning in Pets

Some signs and symptoms might occur when your dog or cat or the other pets have ingested something toxic. Some of them include shaking, loss of appetite or a lack of eating, vomiting or diarrhea, sneezing, lack of coordination, seizures or hard to breath. Do not wait and take action as soon as possible if you see something wrong with your pet.

  • First of all, you need to keep your cat or dog away from the toxin and then put them in a place that is safe and clean to avoid them getting in touch with the thing that is poisonous.
  • Then, call the vet immediately. Take immediate action when you see something wrong by calling the vet. Consulting with the vet is always better as they know better about the situation compared to you.
  • Do not let your cat or dog groom themselves. If you assume that the toxic substance entered the fur or the claws of the pet, try to prevent them from grooming themselves. Getting rid of the toxic substance might be done by bathing the pet. However, it is not always the case as it can cause the chemicals to be reabsorbed. Everything depends on the thing ingested by your pet. To make sure about it, it is needed for you to consult with the vet about it.
  • It is not recommended to treat your cat or dog by yourself, unless you are a vet or a professional. As stated before, the vet or the professional knows them better than you so if you want to get the best thing for your pet, call them and follow the guide given by them to you.

Hibiscus Care

For those who have a Hibiscus plant and want to get a healthy one, it is a must for you to educate yourself about the basics of water, soil, light, and fertilizer requirements. If the place where you live has a cool climate, indoors are the best for your plant to grow due to the fact that these plants love the warm temperatures. You can put them in the containers. If there is no space indoors and you have to put them outdoors, do not forget to bring them outside. It is fine putting them outdoors as long as they get a few hours of direct sunlight every day.

Read also: Hibiscus schizopetalus care

To put the Hibiscus outdoor, you are also required to make sure that the soil drains well as it has been known that poor draining soil is one of the things behind the plant to rot. Besides, make sure your plant to be watered three to four times every week. Do it with the warm water. When they started to bloom, please give them fertilizer every two weeks. It is also important to check the plants every week to see if there is any pest. In addition, do not forget to also prune them in the fall as it is helpful to stimulate thhe production of the bloom.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *