Arabian jasmine or more commonly known as jasminum sambac is a shrub that grows well in tropical areas. This jasmine flower is widely used as a national flower in several countries, for example in India which is often referred to as Biblical Jasmine, mogra, mograw, motiya or yasmeen, in the Philippines this flower is called sampaguita and melati in Indonesia. You must know that this flower has a very fragrant smell that makes us feel refreshed. It is one of the best plants which can helps you sleep better.
Jasmine the flower definition
This jasmine flower is taken from a Persian word, yasmin which means a gift from God. Philosophically, the jasmine flower represents purity and sincerity as well as elegance in simplicity. The aroma of this flower is often associated as a symbol of love and affection. In the United States, this jasmine flower also has a meaning as a symbol of love, romance, and beauty.
Meanwhile in Thailand, this jasmine flower is a symbol of love from a mother which is very broad and also as a respect for a mother.
How to plant and care jasminum sambac easily.
You have to know one thing that depending on the flowers structure and shape of leaves, there are three main varieties types of Arabian jasmine, what are they?
- (Bela) Belle of India: Single or semi double or flowers with elongated petal, single and double flowers on the same plant.
- Maid of Orleans: Single layered flowers that has five rounded petals.
- Grand Duke of Tuscany: Clusters of flowers (sometimes single flower). Only the central flower is truly double-rossete. Side flowers are semi-double, and like miniature roses.
Jasminum sambac can grows height of up to 10ft and have dark green glossy foliage and white flowers absolutely.
Light and temperature jasmine needs
The Arabian Jasmine needs full sun at least 6 hour, but partially shaded conditions. It grows in intermediate to warm temperatures, they can not tolerate cold weather or winter. Where the night temperature is below 0°C, the plant should be moved indoors. The Arabian jasmine can be grown in hardiness zones 9 to 11. In USDA plant hardiness zones Zones 6 to 9, if you want to plant in winter, choose winter jasmine as known as Jasmine nudiflorum
Soil for arabian jasmine
Plant in soil mixing two parts peat moss and one part garden soil. You can also add coconut coir or some other best planting media for flowers to increase the moisture.
Water Jasmine plant thoroughly until water comes out from the bottom of pot but do it when the soil is nearly dry before watering. Reduce the frequency of watering in winter.
If you plant indoor jasmine, you can give a liquid fertilizer that high in potassium with the dilution as recommended on the label of the fertilizer pack from spring to fall. Give the fertilizer in the soil and the leaves as well by spraying on it.
- First, you can buy jasmine flowers from your local nursery or grow your own by propagating Jasmine by stem cutting.
- Second, dig a hole around twice the size of the polybag/container of the plant you have bought earlier. Half fill it with the soil in advance, then put the plant in the hole when it has been taking out from the container and place it in the hole.
- Third, Fill the surrounding area with soil and put mulch around the plant.
- When it’s grown, tie the stems or commonly use the strong support to prevent from drooping.
- It was step for planting jasmine in the yard, garden . Then how about plant them in the pot. You can plant your in a pot by using the soil as I explained earlier. But there is something you need to remember to have the pot with good drainage by adding some holes in the bottom. Well if it’s done keep them in indirect light for a few days.
Best way to prune and flower arabian jasmine.
Pruning in mid summer will encourage the growth of new wood producing more flowers, so cut the branches that extend between 6-8 feet. Then what you are supposed to do if your plant is not flowering? you should trim the branches at the tips and give a liquid feed high in potassium to encourage new growth and flowering. After flowering, I used to trim the branches.
Aphids, caterpillars, mites and mealy bugs is commonly pest that attact jasmine flower. You can see the budsof jasmine turn to brown which mean the pest that causes it. Prune and spray some fungicide regularly can be a preference to keep your jasmine healty and get rid of pest and diseases, well usually the new growth will produce jasmine buds at the tips. Prune the plant and fertilize it is a must, if your jasmine sambac plant does not produce flowers .
Well, you arabian jasmine will grow well as long as you follow the tips correctly.