One of the most important things to take care of the snake plants is watering. They are actually known as the plants that can be taken care of easily and there are not many issues that might happen. However, watering seems to be a different case as a lot of people have faced some issues with it.
The Moisture Meter and the Reason to Use A Moisture Meter
If you have no idea how to properly check for the moisture in the soil or if you want to use the easy way to tell if the snake plant needs water, you might want to use a moisture meter. The term named a moisture meter is used to call an invaluable tool that is helpful for gardeners. This one usually does not need any batteries to operate.
Method to Use A Moisture Meter on Snake Plant
Using a moisture meter on a snake plant is easy. Here is step by step that you can follow to use the tool:
- The first thing that you need to do is to purchase a moisture meter if you have not done it yet. There are a lot of kinds of them. They are usually used to check moisture, light, soil acidity, and the other ones. If you want to quick plant check, you can use the plain one as it is the easiest to use. When deciding on which moisture meter to purchase, please select the one that can be used instantly and needs no batteries.
- After having one, you can use a moisture meter to check the snake plants indoors. To do so, you can just put the tip of this sensor a few inches into the soil and the head or the gauge on top will tell you what the moisture level of the soil is. For the snake plant, please keep in mind to water the plant when the meter shows a 1 or less. Once you have done the process of watering, the meter should display about an 8 or 9.
- As there is always the possibility for the snake plant to have an issue with the soil, and so on, you are encouraged to monitor everything frequently. The same moisture meter can be used to check your plants on the spot. When using this tool, it is not recommended to leave it in the plant for too long. Remember to also wipe off the probe and keep the tool clean and dry after using it.
Some Recommended Moisture Meters to Purchase
There are a lot of moisture meters to purchase online. One of the best places to purchase it is called Amazon. Below are some of the products from Amazon:
- KMEIVOL Moisture Meter for Plants, Moisture Meter, Soil Moisture Meter for Gardening, 3-in-1 Soil pH Meter, Plant Moisture Meter for Home
- Price: $8.55
- Brand: KMEIVOL
- Material: Plastic/Metal
- Size: 10 x 2 x 1.5 inches
- Weight: 3.5 ounces
- Color: Green
- KVISTER Soil Moisture Meter for Plants, 3-in-1 Soil pH Meter Plant Water Meter, Soil Tester for Plant Care, Gardening Tool Great for Garden Lawn Farm Indoor
- Price: $12.99
- Brand: KVISTER
- Manufacturer: wangingguoji
- Package Dimensions: 10.31 x 2.6 x 1.65 inches
- Item Weight: 2.89 ounces
- Color: Green
- Trazon Soil pH Meter 3-in-1 Soil Tester Moisture, Light, pH, Meter Tool for Garden, Farm, Plant, Outdoor, Indoor, Lawn Care, Water Soil, Soil Hygrometer Sensor for Gardening, Test Kit for Garden
- Price: $15.99
- Brand: Trazon
- Package Dimensions: 12.91 x 4.06 x 1.57 inches
- Item Weight: 3.52 ounces
- AM Conservation Group Indoor & Outdoor Soil Moisture Meter – Simply Conserve Ladybug Themed Moisture Meter for Plants w/Easy to Read Dial Single Pack (MM071-L)
- Price: $6.42
- Brand: AM Conservation Group
- Product Dimensions: 9.25 x 2.25 x 1.25 inches
- Item Weight: 2.4 ounces
- Bearbro Soil Moisture Meter, 3 in 1 soil pH meter, this one is good test kit for moisture. Its great for garden, farm, lawb, home and indoor outdoor use
- Price: $7.39
- Brand: Bearbro
- Material: ABS
- Weight: 70 g
- Size: 28.5 x 6.4 x 4 cm
- Function: Humidity, pH, detection of light intensity
- Ideal for: House plants, gardening, farmland, lawn
In case no one of these products meets your taste, feel free to go to Amazon or some other places to start hunting by yourself. Please consider many things when you decide which one to purchase. Going to the community or forum of gardening also might be a good idea to ask the members which one is best for the snake plants. Do not ever hesitate to interact with people who share the same interest as you as it is beneficial.
Checking the Soil Manually
Talking about the snake plants and watering, you must know that these plants are succulent and are types of plant that store the water in its leaves. It is needed for you to allow the soil to dry well between watering. The leaves can be used as a barometer for the water status of the plant. If you see your plants drooping leaves, it means the plants are overwatering. On the other hand, your plants are under watering if you see wrinkled and bent foliage. In order to check everything, the thing that should be done is to try poking your index finger about one inch into the soil. If you think that the soil is moist, do not even try to water the plant. The plant is only needed to be watered when the soil is very dry and it does not stick to your hand.
You are able to use a room temperature water if you want to wet the soil once every two to three weeks. It is better for you to avoid pouring the water inside the ring of the leaves. As an effort to prevent the damage to the plant and to increase the water absorption, please pour the water on the soil near the base of the plant. Do not hesitate to check the moisture content of the soil regularly so that overwatering can be avoided