You may now have just a pot of snake plants. If you want to make them a lot, you do not need to buy other pots of snake plants. The thing that you need to do is to reproduce it. So, you need to know the reproduction of this plant as we explain below.
How to Reproduce or Propagate Snake Plants
There are 4 methods for propagating snake plants including snake plant propagation in soil, snake plant propagation in water, snake plant propagation by division and snake plant propagation from rhizome. To know how to perform each method, you can read the explanation below.
Propagating Snake Plant in Soil
If you choose this method to propagate your snake plant, you need several things to prepare including a sharp knife or scissors, pot, and succulent soil or other suitable potting mixture. If you want, you can also prepare root hormone but it is optional.
So, how to propagate a snake plant with this method?
- After you prepare the things above, you have to cut the leaf which is near to the soil line. Do that with a clean and sharp knife or scissors.
- After that, you have to cut the leaf into pieces and each of them must be a couple inches long.
- After cutting the leaf into, now you have to let them sit for a few days. Let them like this until they start to callous over. By doing this, they will be prevented from bacteria from the soil which can get into the leaf and cause rot.
- Do not forget about the upper and lower part of the leaf because when you plant it, you have to put the lower part which is near to the bottom of the plant. If you do it incorrectly, your snake plant will not grow.
- If you want, you are able use rooting hormone powder to dip the bottom end of the snake plant cutting. However, this is optional. So, if you do not want to do this, you can skip it.
- Now, it’s time to put the part which was near to the bottom of the plant into soil which is well-draining or succulent soil.
- Around a month, you can see that the plants will start to grow roots.
Propagating Snake Plant in Water
This is the easiest method for propagating a snake plant. The things that you need to propagate this snake plant are a sharp knife or scissors, water, and jar, vase or heavy glass. If you want, you can also prepare rooting hormone, but it is optional.
How to propagate a snake plant in water? You are able to follow the steps below.
- First, you have to cut the leaf that you want to use to propagate by using a sharp knife or scissors that you have prepared in advance. Make sure that you cut the part of the leaf which is near to the soil.
- If you prepare root hormone, you can dip the leaf that you have cut into it. But if you do not prepare root hormone, you can skip this step.
- The next thing that you have to do is to put the bottom part of the leaf in water. Make sure that the water can cover about 25% of the leaf.
- If your snake plant leaves are big, you are able to cut it into sections and then put each part into water.
- Same as when you plant your snake plant in soil, when you plant snake plant in water, you also need to keep the leaf in the same orientation as it was when it was in soil. It is because the leaves of snake plants are polar so it will grow roots only if you put the edge of the leaf which was nearest to the soil in the water.
- Make sure that you keep the leaf uin a warm condition with indirect light. Also, don’t forget to change the water in the glass, jar or vase every week.
- Around two months, roots will be sprouted. When you find there are roots, you can plant it in soil.
For more details, you can see this: All about snake plant roots, care, fixing and propagation
Propagating Snake Plant by Division
The things that you need to propagate snake plant by this method are succulent soil or potting mixture, newspaper or space outdoors, clean and sharp knife, and some pots. This propagation method is suitable for you who want to get more snake plants immediately.
How to propagate a snake plant by this method? You are able to follow the guide below.
- First, you have to lay your plant on its side gently. Then, slide the plant out of its pot. You may need a newspaper for this or you can do it outdoors.
- After sliding out the plant out of its pot, you have to examine the roots carefully. You must find the locations of rhizomes.
- If your snake plant is big, you may separate it into some pieces. However, if your snake plant is small, you may separate it in half.
- By using your sharp knife, you need to cut the plant. From each cutting, make sure that there are at least 3 rhizomes and one healthy leaf. Also, there must be a couple of roots in each cutting.
- If you have splitted your snake plant, then you have to repot each separate plant into a new pot which is filled with succulent soil.
- Give each pot drink, but make sure that you do not water them too much.
Propagating Snake Plants by Rhizome
What is a rhizome? It is a stem which grows underground horizontally. In snake plants, it will send off new shoots. The things that you need to perform this method are newspaper, sharp knife, pots and potting mixture or succulent soil.
How to propagate a snake plant by rhizome? These steps will help you.
- Your snake plant must be laid on its side. Then, slide out your snake plant of the pot.
- Find some rhizomes in the root area exactly under the soil. They can be found in a whitish looking stem like garlic.
- Then, cut the rhizome from the base of the plant with your clean knife. When you cut it, make sure that you do not damage the roots around it.
- After cutting it, now you have to let the rhizome be callous for several days.
- If you find that there is a callous, it is time for you to plant it in a new pot.