Terrarium is a plant that is grown in a container which made of glass. Terrarium not only gives a natural and green impression in the room due to limited land, but also adds to the aesthetic side of the room. The combination of plants, soil used, and glass containers that have a variety of shapes creates an aesthetic of its own that is favored by terrarium enthusiasts
Growing any kind of plants may not be a problem in rural areas where there is plenty of vacant land. However, in big cities people are starting to look for alternatives to have plants without a large space with limited land issues, Starting from the vertical garden, plants in pots that are placed indoors, until the plants in these pots innovate and beautify into Terrarium.
For those of you who are not too familiar with terrariums, we will help you to get to know the creations of this one plant more closely.
Terrarium is Easy to Find, Create and Place
With the increasing trend of terrariums, you can easily get them in physical plant stores and online, of course with various variations. The variation in this case is the variation of the glass container and the plants in it. The majority of the plants used are small plants such as succulents, small leaves, and flowers.
You can also easily find out how to make your own terrarium from the internet or take a terrarium making workshop class that is already widely available. The method is relatively easy to follow and the ingredients are easy to find. As an illustration, you can use glass jars that are widely available to make a terrarium.
Its beautiful shape and appearance is easy to place anywhere with various styles and interior designs. There is no limit to placing a terrarium in any room, whether indoors or outdoors
How to Make a Terrarium
You can create a mini garden in your room by using a terrarium. You can be creative in choosing the terrarium filling according to your wishes.
The first thing to think about is the selection of the container, is it open or closed? If you use plants that need sunlight, then you can use a closed container.
In the use of the material, care must be taken, whether to use plastic that is lighter but prone to scratches and discoloration or to use glass which is limited in shape and quantity but is cheaper and easier to find.
Best Plants for Terrarium
When choosing plants for your terrarium, there are a few things to keep in mind:
- Choose plants that are small enough for your glass container like African violet, Pothos,Polka dot plant, Small ferns, Lucky bamboo, Nerve plant, Prayer plant, Club moss, Creeping fig. Do not let the plant parts touch the glass container and make your terrarium seem cramped.
- Plants that can grow in moisture are most likely to survive in the terrarium. Although Cactus do not like moisture, you can use a glass container with a small opening.
- Whether you choose an open or closed terrarium, remember, all the plants you choose must have the same environmental requirements. If you want to grow plants that love sunlight, open containers are perfect.
- Plants growing in high humidity levels should be placed in closed containers. Make sure you choose the right soil for the plants you choose, and also make sure to choose plants that are slow growing to avoid the impression of being claustrophobic.
- Glass or plastic containers for terrarium
- Terrarium accessories such as rocks
- Funnel (optional)
- Wipes for cleaning
Steps How to Make a Terrarium
- Cover the bottom of a glass or plastic container with 1.5 inches of small rocks. The bottom layer of these small stones serves as a drain for the terrarium.
- After that, add a thin layer of activated charcoal. Activated charcoal works against the growth of bacteria in the terrarium.
- Continue to pour enough soil to cover the plant roots. Preferably a layer of soil about 2.5 inches.
- Then put the ornamental plants that you will use. Start with the largest plant first. Then make a hole in the soil to fit the plant roots. Put the plant into the hole and arrange them.
- Clean with a tissue if it gets dirty
- Water every 2 weeks or when the soil nearly dry
- Do not place in direct sunlight
- Wear gloves when handling Cactus or other thorny plants. Once all the plants are arranged in a glass container, complete the look with a layer of small stones. You can also add a personal impression to the terrarium with decorative miniatures.
Some things you need to avoid for Terrarium:
Too much sun
- Glass containers can burn plants. The temperature inside the glass case can be very hot. Most plants cannot tolerate this heat, so make sure the terrarium is out of direct sunlight.
Too little sunslight
- Most plants need sunlight to survive. While there are plants that survive with little sun, there are none that don’t need sunlight at all. Placement near the window is the right step, so that the plants get enough sunlight.
Not pruning plants
- Take care of your terrarium plants and when they look untidy, prune them right away. Don’t let Terrarium touch the glass by keeping the plant small, simple tips you can trim the roots.
Left to wither
- If the plants do not seem to be growing well in the terrarium, remove them immediately or remove dead and dry leaves. If the plant is sick, remove it immediately because it can infect other plants and can damage the appearance of the entire terrarium, so remove it too.
- Simply dig up the plant with a long spoon or other tool, being careful not to damage the roots of other plants. Replace the plant with a similar size, making sure the roots are covered with soil, do not let air pockets form.
Dirty glass container
- Every now and then you need to clean the terrarium glass both inside and out. You can use newspaper or a damp cloth. Do not use harsh cleaning products on the inside of the terrarium as they can harm your plants.
- Without realizing it, you can over-water your terrarium. One way to prevent this is to use a spray bottle instead of poured water. It’s easier to splash a little water when you use a spray bottle. If you over-watered, try absorbing the excess water with a towel.
- Most terrariums do not need fertilizer at all. Since you want the plant to stay small, you don’t need to fertilize it, which will cause new growth and the plant will quickly grow to fill its container.
Compared to plants that grow naturally outdoors, terrariums need extra attention which means more time and effort. The amount of water and fertilizer must be just right to keep the plants in it alive. Terrarium must still be given sunlight and of course a glass container that should not be dirty.