Forget me not flowers are a popular flower option for amateur gardeners. The seeds of Forget me not flowers are able to be planted either outdoors in your garden or in indoor pots. If you care Forget me not seeds properly, they are going to mature into stunning pink, blue, or white flowers. So, how to grow Forget me not flowers from seeds? Let us find out that information here.
Planting Forget Me Not Seeds in a Garden
- Firstly, you have to choose an area which gets 3-6 hours of sunlight per day to start the seeds. Forget me not flower tend to thrive in partial to dappled shade, so you have to choose an area of your garden to plant them in that does not get full sunlight. Some species of Forget me not flowers are more hardy than others when it comes to sunlight and grow better with more than 6 hours of sunlight. Please take a look at your specific seed variety and look up whether it is partial to full sun or partial shade.
- After that, you need to test your garden soil for a pH of 5.5 – 7.5. Forget me not flower can live anywhere in the 5.5-7.5 pH range. You are able to use a commercial soil pH tester to get the exact number.
- Then, water the soil before planting. Forget me not flower love moisture. So you are able to start the seeds out in an already-wet environment. Please use a hose or watering container to get the planting bed moist but not soggy.
- After you have prepared the soil, now you are able to spread your seeds onto the surface. You want them to be at least 6 – 12 inches apart, especially if you will let them reseed naturally. If you are planting Forget me not flowers in the fall, they are going to bloom in the spring.
- Now, you have to add a few inches of organic mulch to protect your flower. Mulch made of organic material will help mimic the Forget me not’s natural environment. Please place 2 to 3 inches of fine mulch or up to 4 inches of larger material on top of the soil to keep moisture in until the seeds germinate. Also, the mulch will regulate the seeds’ temperature.
Potting Forget Me Not Seeds Indoors
- Please choose a pot with drainage holes. Whatever pot you selected, it must have holes on the bottom. Although Forget me not flower need proper moisture, you do not want them to drown. A pot with holes is going to make water to drain out once it has run all the way through the soil, and also prevent pooling around the plant’s roots which can lead to fungus.
- After that, you have to fill the container with a light potting mix and water it. Do not worry as Forget me not flowers are not fussy. Thus, it is fine to use a regular, light soil mixture designed for potted plants. Also, you may select to enrich the soil with an organic material, such as compost. Please wet the soil afterwards as you do with an outdoor crop. Your soil must have a neutral pH somewhere between 5.5 – 7.5 for Forget me not flower to thrive.
- Now, you are able to plant a couple of seeds per pot. If you are planting multiple seeds in a pot, you only need to put down a few at a time. While if you grow more in the same pot, the plants are going to crowd one another and potentially develop mildew.
- Lastly, place the pot in a place with an average temperature of 18 to 21 °C. Whether your flower thrives in sunlight or shade, you have to place it somewhere which is warm but not hot. If you keep the seeds of Forget me not flower in this temperature range, they are going to sprout in 1 to 4 weeks. You will be able to rotate the pot regularly to encourage plant growth.
Caring for Forget Me Not Flowers
- You have to water the flower when the top 3 inches or 7.6 cm of soil feel dry to the touch. You never make Forget me not flower to be in totally dry soil. Depending on the climate you live in and how you are growing your flower, you are able to water more or less than once a week.
- Feed your flower with fertilizer once each spring. Usually, in the wild, this Forget me not flower survives in moderate to poor soil condition, so you do not need to feed them too often. Please apply a slow-release, granular fertilizer to your flowers in early spring.
- You have to add 2 to 4 inches of rich, organic mulch to outdoor plants for extra protection. For note: Mulch is a good protective agent for your growing flowers. It will be able to trap the moisture flowers need in the soil and also can keep the flowers cool. Please keep the mulch 1 or 2 inches away from the base of your flowers.
- You also need to trim dead flowers and stems to encourage their growth. You are able to use a pair of scissors to trim off each spent flower head at the base of its stem. If a whole stalk of your flowers needs to be removed, so you have to cut off the stalk from where it grows at the base. Your flowers will send out new flowers as long as you deadhead regularly.
- Spray away pests as soon as you see them. There are some pests that strike the Forget me not flower. Luckily, they are easy enough to control if you see them right away.
- You have to remove any plant parts with mildew or spots. If your flowers have developed fuzzy white mildew or spots on their leaves, it is very easy to fix it. First, you are able to snip off any affected parts of the plant with a pair of hand pruners. After that, treat your plants with a fungicide, ensure to follow the instructions carefully on the label for safe and proper application.