One of the things that everyone wants to know when growing a plant is how to propagate it. So, if you are currently growing Calathea makoyana, you might want to know the way to propagate it. Is the plant known as Calathea makoyana able to be propagated? If the answer to the question is yes, then what should you do to be able to do that?
The Calathea makoyana is able to be propagated by division. You can divide the main plant into two or more parts. If you can, try to propagate it while you are repotting the plant. It is recommended to reduce the stress on the plant. Not only that, it is also easier to get two things done at the same time.
There are a few steps to follow to propagate Calathea makoyana. All the steps include:
- The first thing that you have to do is to water the plant to loosen the soil, one or two days before you decide to propagate. Apart from that, it is also helpful to minimize the damage to the roots.
- Before anything, you should also prepare the pots that you will put your divided plants into.
- When the time comes, take the plant out of its pot. Make sure to do that gently.
- Then, look for a part with its own root system and at least one healthy leaf. If possible, getting more than one is better.
- When you manage to find one that has its own root system and at least one healthy leaf, separate that part from the rest of the plant and repot it into an appropriately sized pot. When setting them apart, please be careful with the roots.
- In case you fail when untangling the roots, you are suggested to use a pair of clean, sharp scissors to help you with cutting them away from each other. While trying to do so, try to keep them as intact as possible.
- It is really important to keep this newly potted plant’s potting mix moist.
- Aside from that, it is also important to not overwater it.
- Place it in a place with medium, indirect light.
- Do not forget to also give it humidity which can be done by putting a clear plastic bag over the top. Actually, it is not the only way to provide the plant with humidity. Apart from that, some other methods include using a humidifier and so on. If you prefer to use the plastic bag method, you will have to remove it for a little every other day or so in order to allow the fresh air to come.
- When everything is done, you can just give the plant some time to adjust and start growing again. It may need a month or more for it to start growing, so please be patient. When it starts growing, you can increase the light level to bright, indirect light.
It should be easy for you to propagate the Calathea makoyana by divisions by following every single step mentioned above. However, in case you find it hard and not clear, you might want to watch a good video shared by Green plants. This video is called Prayer plant Propagation | How to Propagate Calathea plant//GREEN PLANTS and it is available to watch on Youtube. It is only about 4 minutes long so it will not take too much of your time. Please watch it until the end. If you find something is not clear or if you want to ask something, you can leave a comment on the comment section under the video. While watching the video will not require you to log in, leaving a comment will. While there is no guarantee for the owner of the channel to reply to your comment, there is a chance for others to see it and to kindly help you.
While some people believe that division is the only way to propagate Calathea makoyana, some other ones think that it can also grow from cuttings. If you want to try to propagate this kind of Calathea plant with stem cuttings, here is the step by step to follow:
- First and foremost, you should look for a healthy stem. Please find the one with visible leaf nodes.
- After finding it, it is time for you to cut below the leaf nodes.
- It is possible for you to be able to root these cuttings in the water.
- It is stated that cutting rooted in the soil grows stronger roots.
- After that, the next thing that you have to do is to dip the cuttings and rooting hormones.
- When you are done with dipping the cuttings into rooting hormone, plant them into pots with moist, well-draining soil.
- It could be a great quality potting mix or your mixture of vermiculite or perlite, peat moss, and compost in equal amounts.
- It is important to keep the soil evenly moist. Besides, it is also important to keep the humidity levels high.
- Then, place a plastic bag over the cutting lightly in order to hold moisture in.
- Another thing that should be placed is the cuttings. Please place them in a warm area that has bright indirect sunlight.
- After putting them, check out for new growth within the next few weeks.
- Once it is established, it is time for you to replant your cuttings into pots that are larger than before if you want.
In addition to propagating the Calathea makoyana by division and from cuttings, some people also think that this plant can be down from seeds. However, it needs talent. If you are considered talented, you can try this and when you succeed, do not forget to share your experience to the forums or communities. Not only that, it also needs a lot of patience as it may take a long time to work.