Are Chrysanthemums Toxics to Dogs or Any Other Pets?

When you have a plan to put Chrysanthemums around your house, you may wonder whether the mums will be safe for your pets or not. You might have heard that your mums are toxic for some pets, as they will cause your pets to have some health problems.

Are the mums also poisoning dog? If you have a dog at your home and want to place Chrysanthemums around your house, you may be looking for the information before whether the mums are safe for your dog or not. No worries! This post will show the answer for you, here you go!

Chrysanthemums Are Toxics for Your Dog

If you have a dog that accidentally eats Chrysanthemums, you should treat it carefully, as the mums are poisoning your dog. Certainly, you need to keep your dog away from the mums.

Are crysanthemum toxics to dog

The natural insecticides contained in Chrysanthemums are called pyrethroids. These are chemicals which are synthetic. Moreover, permethrin is the insecticide contained in the Chrysanthemums that works to control pests. Permethrin generally comes in the form of liquid, aerosol sprays, powder and on clothing that has been treated.

Furthermore, this synthetic chemical is commonly used to treat scabies on humans and head lice. Chrysanthemums poisoning in dogs is caused by dogs that consume Chrysanthemums. If your dog eats Chrysanthemums, there are a number of symptoms including lack of coordination, diarrhea, vomiting, excessive drooling and also dermatitis.

Symptoms When Your Dog Is Poisoned by Chrysanthemums

After your dog eats Chrysanthemums, he may indicate some clinical signs. Certainly, the onset of symptoms depend on the amount of the plant ingested. Here are some symptoms when your dog is poisoned by Chrysanthemums:

  • Drooling
  • Coughing
  • Clearing the throat
  • Vomiting
  • Lack of appetite
  • Agitation
  • Shaking

Causes When Your Dog Is Poisoned

As we’ve mentioned, Chrysanthemums contain the natural insecticide: sesquiterpene and pyrethins. Both are irritants to your dog’s skin and digestive systems. The mums that are related to Chrysanthemums include milfoil, bittersweet and Jerusalem Oak.

Pyrethin toxicity is commonly caused by some following:

  • To react with metabolic activity and internal temperature
  • To alter the permeability of nerve membranes to specific potassium and sodium ions
  • Perfectly affecting the nervous system

Here are some types of products that may use pyrethrin:

  • Ornamental outdoor pesticides
  • Household inscticide sprays
  • Roach sprays
  • Fogging pesticides
  • Hornet sprays
  • Lice treatments
  • Ant sprays
  • Flea and tick solutions
  • Causes of Chrysanth
  • Commercial business and building insecticides

What You Should Do After Your Dog Eats Chrysanthemums?

After you know that your dog has eaten Chrysanthemums, it’s better for you to take your dog to the veterinarian immediately. When you meet your veterinarian, you need to talk about what plant he has eaten and how many plants that he has eaten and even how much time has passed from the time he ate the mums to the time of the appointment.

Your veterinarian may or may not run specific tests that depend on if the dog is stable. If you are sure that your dog eats the mums and if your dog indicates some symptoms above, make sure to treat him as soon as possible without wasting any time.

Otherwise, if your dog is stable that only shows a few symptoms, your veterinarian will do a sequence of tests including:

  • A complete physical examination
  • Monitor your dog’s temperature
  • Possibly doing urinalysis
  • To check the blood glucose levels through blood testing
  • Examine his skin and fur to check if the dog obtained any of the natural chemicals on his body. If so, your veterinarian will decontaminate him by giving him a bath.

If your dog is poisoned by Chrysanthemums, your veterinarian will know the specific symptoms of pyrethrin toxicity.

How to Treat Chrysanthemum Poisoning in Dogs?

If your dog accidentally has eaten Chrysanthemums, your best bet is to keep your dog from Chrysanthemums around your house both in the home and in the yard. You need to ensure that Chrysanthemums are not in your yard, so they will not get into yards far from the actual plant.

Aside from that, you may need to identify the mums, so make sure to keep your dog away from Chrysanthemums when you are out together. When your dog comes into contact with Chrysanthemums, you can call the local poison control office, your veterinarian or also emergency vet clinic.

Additionally, you need to do treatment based on the level of toxicity and your dog symptoms. The first thing that your veterinarian will do is to aid in the absorption of the pyrethrin by giving activated charcoal.

There are some best treatments that you can do when the mum is poisoning your dog including muscle relaxants, anti-seizure drugs, IV Fluids and Monitoring. Each will be explained below!

  • Muscle relaxants: Such as methocarbamol will perfectly decrease any tremors and shaking that your dog may be having. In this case, methocarbamol may have to be administered several times.
  • Anti-Seizure drugs: Your veterinarian probably chooses to administer an anti-seizure drug, if your dog is having seizures. In this case, diazepam or pentobarbital may be given.
  • IV Fluids: This treatment may be given to stabilize your dog’s system, help with kidney function to excrete the toxic substance and also keep your dog hydrated.
  • Monitoring: Your dog will need a hospital stay for roughly two days after he has a moderate to severe case of toxicity. During treatment, your veterinarian will control your dog’s blood glucose level. He will also monitor his kidney function and liver function. In order to prevent hypothermia, your veterinarian will also control his temperature.

Okay, those are the best treatments that you can do to treat your dog when you suspect that your dog has eaten Chrysanthemums

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *