Even though they look old fashioned, the beauty of morning glories is unmatched. That’s why a lot of people fall of their beauty and start to have them in their garden and home. Aside from the ground, some people love to grow them in a hanging basket in the balcon.
If you find growing the morning glories in the hanging basket in the balcon interesting but you are wondering how to take care of them before starting to grow them, you can check out this post to be informed about everything.
Apparently, the method of taking care of morning glories in hanging basket in the balcon is not that different as the method of taking care of them in any other places.
- At the early stage, they need a little more attention.
- The best soil for morning glory is the moist one. However, it is important to make not make it wet. During the dry periods, you can water it once or twice a week. As you grow the plant in a hanging basket, you can add a bit more water, especially if you live in warmer area.
- Maintaining the mulch and controlling the weeds are part of the morning glory care. Please make sure to do these two regularly.
- Morning glories automatically grow again by the seed. If you want to take care of them, you will have to separate it immediately as soon as the flower fades. Do not forget to get rid of the dead wines before falling deep frost.
- Using balance fertilizer is recommended right after planting. Please do it once a month. The plant apparently needs low nitrogen fertilizer. Provide the plant the fertilizer every 4 to 5 weeks as needed.
- The lattice is able to be used to support the climber. Another option is to put it on the edge of the wall or fence.
- Morning glories are known to have a few bugs. When the weather is wet, the fungal issues might occur, leaving the problems with leaf spots, steam rot, white blister, and thread blight. The plant can be damaged by deer, rabbits, or some other big animals as they are fans of green leaves. If you are in this kind of situation, you can use the lattice to fix the issue. If you want to eliminate the fungus, you are suggested to use the chemical pest repellents and fungicides.
There are a few things to take note when you are growing morning glories in a hanging basket or in a container, as follows:
- It is not recommended to plan any large fences or lattice unless you want for them to spread out freely.
- The same method can also be used to the morning glories that are placed in a hanging basket in the balcony. However, it should be remembered that the lightweight basket will be perfect for this as it is easy to move around.
- You are able to start its seeds inside the house 4 to 6 weeks before the last frost. The process will start to work when the soil gets warm up to about 60 degrees Fahrenheit.
- The seeds of morning glories are known to be so harsh. Before planting, it is a must to soak them in the water for a half day. In the morning, you can check them out and make sure that they are ready for germination.
- When you are about to plan the morning glories, you are recommended to sow the seeds at the depth of ¼ inch from the distance of few inches. For anyone who is sowing in a row, then the most recommended one is the distance of 6 inches. In order to keep the soil moist, remember to water the seeds regularly.
- If you want to apply this plant, you can fill the basket with potting mix. Do not forget to make the surface of a piece of gravel or clay pot on the surface of the container before filling the basket with the well drained soil. Make sure to make it not to block the drainage hole.
- Morning glories are type of plants that love sun. It has been known that the best sun that that need is the full sun, especially if you want to make them bloom. That’s why it is highly recommended to hang the basket in the balcon that has enough sunlight. If something blocks the sun, please get rid of that thing. Having a good place with enough sunlight is a must to prevent the plant from getting cold.
- When the process of applying the seeds in the basket is done, the next thing that you have to do is to water it well. Bear in mind to not overwatering. Even if the soil is dry, morning glories can still grow without having a hard time. If you want to keep the moisture in the morning glories, you can add mulch.
- Morning glories can grow well in the well drained and moderately fertile soil. Actually, they are able to be grown anywhere but the best place is the one with the soil that has a neutral pH of 6.0 to 6.8. As one of the plants that can grow well even in poor and dry conditions, having the organic rich soil is not really needed.
If you are planning to grow morning glories in the basket in the balcon, there are a few varieties that you can consider. The first one is Heavenly Blue. This one is a classic flower that has a rich blue color. The plant reaches 12 feet or 3.5 meter high. The second one is Scarlett O’Hara. This one has bright and red flowers. The plants can grow up to 15 feet or 4.5 meter. The third one is Star of Yelta. This one is the type of morning glory that produces a lot of purple blooms. This one grows up to 10 feet or 3 meters. A lot of people love this due to the fact that the blooms last long.